Welcome to the #21 edition of Rust in Blockchain, the chillest newsletter about the chillest tech. Previous: #20.
It’s still a great time to be a Rust programmer.
This month the Rust Foundation was announced, and major tech companies including Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Facebook have hired prominent Rust compiler developers. Kraken, a major cryptocurrency exchange, posted a blog about how much they love Rust, then immediately posted a bazillion job openings, which we have added to the other job openings in the “careers” section below, and the job board on the website.
And RiB can now accept donations in NEAR at @rib.near, the account for which was donated to us by Peter from the NEAR team. RiB also accepts donations in BTC, ETH, and CKB, the addresses for which are on the website.
RiB needs help to keep up with Rust blockchain projects. If you follow a particular project, or otherwise find information that is beneficial to the Rust & blockchain community, please contribute to the next issue by submitting a PR to the #22 draft.
Each month we like to shine a light on a notable Rust blockchain project. This month that project is…
Umbral is a scheme for proxy re-encryption, by which the owner of a ciphertext, Alice, can designate a third party (the proxy), to re-encrypt that ciphertext to be decoded by Bob, without ever revealing the plaintext to the proxy.
- Arkworks SNARK libraries with Pratyush Mishra
- Dan Guido - What the hell are the blockchain people doing & why isn’t it a dumpster fire?
- Smart Contracts for Incentivized Outsourcing of Computation
- Smart Contract Security: a Practitioners’ Perspective
- SigVM: Toward Fully Autonomous Smart Contracts
- smartFHE: Privacy-Preserving Smart Contracts from Fully Homomorphic Encryption
- OptSmart: A Space Efficient Optimistic Concurrent Execution of Smart Contracts
- Efficient State Management in Distributed Ledgers
- Peer-to-Peer Content Delivery via Blockchain
- A Security Framework for Distributed Ledgers
- Verification Dilemmas, Law, and the Promise of Zero-Knowledge Proofs
- IPDL: A Simple Framework for Formally Verifying Distributed Cryptographic Protocols
- Group Signatures with User-Controlled and Sequential Linkability
- FPPW: A Fair and Privacy Preserving Watchtower For Bitcoin
- MAKE: a Matrix Action Key Exchange
- GearBox: An Efficient UC Sharded Ledger Leveraging the Safety-Liveness Dichotomy. From the Concordium project.
- Teleport Transactions is software aiming to improve the privacy of Bitcoin.
- Compound Chain. An interest-bearing stablecoin bridge between all DeFi chains.
- europa. A sandbox to run and debug smart contracts for FRAME Contracts pallet and also a sandbox framework for Substrate runtime.
- ethabi. Encode and decode smart contract invocations.
- Hodor. Open source implementation of zkSTARKs in pure Rust.
Most Active in February
- PR: ChannelManager persistence by @valentinewallace
- PR: SPV client utility for syncing a lightning node by @jkczyz
- PR: HTTP-based block source clients by @jkczyz
- PR: Remove libsecp256k1, bump dependencies, fix warnings by @vorot93
- PR: Bump ethereum-types by @frostRed
- Blog: The Future of Zero Knowledge with Aleo
- PR: Upgrade to the Constraint System for Marlin by @howardwu
- PR: Add ‘leo clone’ command and add integration test with Aleo Package Manager by @damirka
- PR: Update POSW Implementation by @raychu86
- PR: Replace bitcoind wallet with bdk wallet by @da-kami
- PR: Use libp2p-async-await to improve API of execution setup phase by @D4nte
- PR: Nectar by @D4nte
- PR: Support numbers and booleans by @michaelvoronov
- PR: New mounted binaries interface by @michaelvoronov
- Blog: Is Holochain a Safe Haven for Dangerous Extremists or a Beacon of Hope for Accountability?
- PR: hApp Bundles pt 3: Documentation, finishing touches, et al. by @maackle
- PR: Allows a hc to reliably call while another hc is running the same setup by @freesig
- PR: Improve compatibility of holochain types with Zome WASM, unify Timestamp type by @pjkundert
- PR: [State Sync] Complete unit test skeleton for coordinator, better error support and clean up code. by @JoshLind
- PR: [move-lang] parser and typing for the public(script) visibility modifier by @mengxu-fb
- PR: Add PeerRole to identify known peers in the network by @gregnazario
- News: Lighthouse Update #34
- PR: Auto-coerce to ping response to ipv4 when possible by @paulhauner
- PR: Add mitigation for ipv6 loop by @paulhauner
- PR: Add a
disconnect_nodepublic method by @pawanjay176
- PR: FOG-275 Fog Signature Scheme by @jcape
- PR: Support reloading of GRPC services certificate/key files by @eranrund
- Videos: Fungible Token Standards (NEARly wrapped up)
- Videos: NEAR Live Contract Review
- PR: rewrite graph struct to be 200 times faster by @pmnoxx
- PR: refactor(jsonrpc): Structured errors for
GetChunkViewClient handler and backward compatible response from JSON RPC by @khorolets
- PR: feat: customize chain spec for dev chains and update few preset params by @yangby-cryptape
- PR: Integrate dynamic loading functions from C library by @XuJiandong
- PR: Migration testing runtime API/Bot by @kianenigma
- PR: Decouple Staking and Election - Part 2 Unsigned Phase by @kianenigma
- PR: contracts: Charge rent for code storage by @athei
- PR: fix typo in app.go by @vitocchi
- PR: added support for debug-print in secret contracts. by @reuvenpo
- PR: Add limit and shrink policy for recycler by @carllin
- PR: Various postponed fixes and changes to the stake pool program by @atticlab
- PR: Warn lastValidSlot with some terminology tweaks by @ryoqun
- PR: Refactor
fail_witherrors impossible by @yaahc
- PR: Multi-proof prover by @therealyingtong
- PR: Hash verification key into transcript by @therealyingtong
Mar 15 - Apr 11 | Online
May 20 | Online
Aleo | San Francisco, USA or Remote
Kraken | Remote
- Backend Engineer - Crypto Payments
- Backend Engineer - Fiat Payments
- Backend Engineer - Staking & DeFi
- Software Engineer - Trading Technology (Rust)
- Backend Engineer - Rust - Core Backend
- Backend Engineer, Kraken Futures - Rust
- Banking Engineer - Rust
- Site Reliability Engineer - Rust - Core Backend
- Rust QA Software Engineer
- Rust API SDET
Matter Labs | Berlin/Kiev or Remote
Nucypher | Remote
Parity Technologies | Berlin or Remote
- Blockchain Node Developer
- Rust Performance Engineer
- Core Developer - Runtime
- Solution Engineer
- Rust Developer - Tools
- P2P Network Engineer
- Rust/Core Developer
Zcash | Remote
More jobs can be found at Job Board.
Want to be included in the next issue? Feel free to submit a PR to the #22 draft.
Join the discussion on RiB telegram group ❤️