Welcome to the #13 edition of Rust in Blockchain, the hypest newsletter about the hypest tech. Previous: #12.
It was another month in 2020, like previous months in 2020. Stuck inside, hacking away.
We don’t see a consistent blockchain Rust theme to highlight this month, but interesting new Rust crypto and blockchain projects continue to be launched. They are noted in the “Interesting Things” section.
Oasis launched what will probably become their mainnet. Congrats to them!
The Holochain team asked that we highlight the Holochain DevCamp, running until August 27th. Now is your opportunity to learn more about the project. There are a number of other online blockchain hackathons going on this summer, noted in our “Events” section. Could be a good way to spend time this summer instead of going to the beach.
Well, anyway, keep on hacking.
RiB needs help to keep up with Rust blockchain projects. If you follow a particular project, or otherwise find information that is beneficial to the Rust & blockchain community, please contribute to the next issue. Either submit a PR to the #14 draft, or Tweet @rust_blockchain.
Each month we like to shine a light on a notable Rust blockchain project. This month that project is…
electrs is a server for the Electrum Bitcoin wallet, written in Rust. Electrum is a light wallet that
needs to connect to a server to transact with the Bitcoin network. Although there are public Electrum servers,
and they are safe to transact with, they can deanonymize users, so it might be prudent to run one’s own
Electrum server, like
bwt (also written in Rust).
- Enigma partners with IBM on “SafeTrace”, a contact tracing app. Enigma is a Rust blockchain with private computation.
- Oasis launched The Amber Network, and the new white paper The Oasis Blockchain Platform.
- New RustCrypto releases:
stream-cipher, and more!
- Evaluating Ethereum L2 Scaling Solutions: A Comparison Framework
- Introducing Covalent’s DeFi SDK – An integrated approach to value your digital assets with 5 lines of code
- How I checked over 1 trillion mnemonics in 30 hours to win a bitcoin.
- Bulletproofs+. A new paper with improvements to bulletproofs.
- blst. An implementation of BLS12-381. In C, with Rust bindings.
- celo-bls-snark-rs. Implements SNARK-friendly BLS signatures over BLS12-377 and BW6-761.
- Candid, an interface description language (IDL) for interacting with canisters (also known as services or actors) running on the Internet Computer.
- Crate Crypto. Open source cryptographic implementations. Mostly from IACR.
- ethcontract-rs. Generate type-safe bindings for interacting with Ethereum contracts.
- Neptune. Neptune is a Rust implementation of the Poseidon hash function tuned for Filecoin.
- Nervos CKB
- poly-commit. Univariate Polynomial Commitments. A Rust library that implements (univariate) polynomial commitment schemes.
- riemann-rs. Bitcoin-oriented dev toolboxes for native and browser apps.
- Sigma Rust. Rust implementation of ErgoScript cryptocurrency scripting language.
- The Stacks 2.0 blockchain implementation, an open-membership replicated state machine produced by the coordination of a non-enumerable set of peers.
- Starcoin. A Layered Cryptocurrency and Decentralized Blockchain System.
- ZkVM: About the motocrab. ZkVM is a zero-knowledge VM created by Stellar.
Most Active in June
- PR: Incl tx fee when calcing inbound+outbound HTLC limits on channels by @valentinewallace
- PR: Pre-C bindings cleanups (2) by @TheBlueMatt
- PR: Drop ChannelKeys Private Key Methods by @TheBlueMatt
- PR: Respawn feature by @luckysori
- PR: Add herc20-hbit and hbit-herc20 by @da-kami
- PR: Clean up storage by @tcharding
- PR: Re-export rust-bitcoin from COMIT lib by @luckysori
- PR: Problem (Fix #1703): incorrect tree hashing in mls modules by @yihuang
- PR: Problem:
tx-query2-app-runnerbuild fails by @devashishdxt
- PR: Problem: no gen keypackage command in dev-utils (fix #1692) by @leejw51crypto
3 merged PRs (1), 0 closed issues, 0 open issues
- News: Holochain v0.0.49 released
- News: Holochain Dev Pulse 74: Generate Your hApp’s Source Code in Seconds
- Video: AMA 38 Let’s Talk Tech!
- News: Holochain DevCamp 7
- DevCamp 7 is a month long, community-run, online Holochain developer training program. Get hands on experience building a Holochain App with 2 live sessions every week, coding assignments, and support on our online platform! (all sessions will be recorded and posted)
- PR: Experimental REPL for debug purposes by @zippy
- News: Testnet push announcement for 07/01
- News: The Libra Association appoints Sterling Daines as Chief Compliance Officer
- PR: [circle] ignore gh-pages by @rexhoffman
- News: Lighthouse Update #26
- News: What’s new in Eth2. Links to a benchmark indicating that Lighthouse is the best-performing Ethereum 2 implementation.
- PR: Improve tokio task execution by @pawanjay176
- PR: Add error handling to iterators by @adaszko
- PR: Add first Server Sent Events API endpoint by @adaszko
- PR: Deposit functionality now works with IPC & RPC by @ethDreamer
50 merged PRs (1), 0 closed issues, 0 open issues
- News: CAST joins the ranks of the MobileCoin Foundation
- News: Say hello to MobileCoin Foundation board member, Sarah Novotny
- News: Ideas Beyond Borders joins the MobileCoin Foundation
- News: Blockdaemon, Welcome to the MobileCoin Foundation
- Blog: Return to Satoshi’s Pizzeria
- PR: New fields in account keys and public addresses by @garbageslam
- PR: Multiple measurements by @sugargoat
- PR: Disallow duplicate TxOut public keys by @eranrund
- News: Send NEAR to Anyone with NEAR Drops
- News: Guild Program Launch
- News: NEAR Token Supply and Distribution
- News: Community Update: June 19th, June 5th
- Video: Whiteboard Series with NEAR
- PR: feat(storage): implement its own GC method by @ailisp
- PR: feat(runtime): support more than one VM. by @olonho
- PR: feat(chain): Upgradability functionality by @ilblackdragon
- PR: feat(Runtime): Dynamic gas pricing by @evgenykuzyakov
- News: Nervos Grant Announcement: Obsidian Systems Hardware Wallet Support
- News: Nervos CKB Development Update #37, #36
- Blog: A Tale of Abstractions: the quest for better CKB developer tools
- PR: Optimize scheduler by @driftluo
- PR: refactor: move network protocol related variables to SupportProtocols by @quake
- PR: feat: update last_common_header only in find_blocks_to_fetch by @keroro520
- News: Join Hackusama - Hack on Polkadot’s Wild Cousin!
- News: Kusama Treasury Funds Seven Teams in Seven Weeks
- News: Polkadot Research Update
- News: Polkadot, Kusama and Gitcoin: Building the Future
- Blog: Polkadot Launch: Phase 2
- Blog: What is Polkadot? Part 2: The Vision
- Blog: Polkadot Governance
- PR: Implement nested storage transactions by @athei
- PR: Overseer by @montekki
- PR: Implement Network Bridge by @rphmeier
- PR: Stored call in multisig by @gavofyork
- PR: Make transaction pool prune transactions only of canonical blocks by @bkchr
- News: Secret Contracts Update: Milestone 3 of 3 Complete!
- News: Introducing Secret Network
- News: Enigma and IBM Cloud are Protecting Human Lives as Well as Data Privacy
- News: Introducing Secret Foundation
- News: Announcing the Secret Games and Incentivized Testnet
- Blog: Secret Hub: Making Privacy One With the Cosmos
- Blog: Secret Network Development Update: May 2020
- PR: CosmWasm 0.9 by @reuvenpo
- News: May Newsletter
- News: The Decentralized Solana DShop Swag Store, Powered by Origin Protocol, is Now Live
- New: Solana Foundation Transparency Report #1
- News: Solana Token (SOL) Featured In Gate.io Listing Competition
- News: Double Rewards on Solana Liquidity Mining Campaign
- New: Announcing the Formation of the Solana Foundation
- PR: Add staking guide to docs by @danpaul000
- PR: Dont skip eager rent collect across gapped epochs by @ryoqun
- News: Foundation DNS Seeders Are Live
- News: ZCASH DEVELOPERS UPDATE 06-26, 06-19, 06-12, 06-05
- Blog: So You Want to Build an End-to-End Encrypted Web App
- Blog: Zcash privacy remains strongest of any cryptocurrency, even with recent Chainalysis, Elliptic support
- Blog: Kubernetes and blockchains at ECC
- Blog: ECC Wallet threat model and security assessment results
- Blog: The upside of quadratic funding for the Zcash ecosystem
- Blog: 7 things we learned building the shielded-first ECC Wallet
- Blog: Heartwood security assessment turns up no major issues
- Report: ECC Transparency Report for Q4 2019
- PR: Block Verification Stubs by @teor2345
- PR: Implement sync component for start subcommand by @yaahc
- PR: Implement ff traits for bls12_381 and jubjub crates by @str4d
- PR: Add serde bounds to zebra-chain structures. by @hdevalence
Jun - Aug | Online
Jul 1-22 | Online
More Holochain events
Jul 8, Jul 15-22 | Online
Jun 28 - Aug 27 | Online
Jun 29 - Aug 14 | Online
Jul 6 - Aug 6 | Online
Aug 3-6, 2020 | Oxford, UK
Aug 5, 2020 | Online
Oct 21-23 | NYC, US
Chainlink | Remote
Definity | SF, US
Findora | CA, US
IOTA | Remote
Kraken | London, UK; Remote
Ockam | Remote
Polymath | Ontario; Remote
Join the discussion on RiB telegram group ❤️